- From console, interrupt the boot routine:
Hit [Enter] to boot immediately, or any other key for command prompt. Booting [kernel] in 9 seconds... < Press the space bar at this point >
- Enter into single-user mode:
Type '?' for a list of commands, 'help' for more detailed help. ok boot -s
- Enter the shell:
- Mount the virtual file systems (for JUNOS 5.4 and above, it is not necessary to mount the jbase (or jcrypto) package, however the other packages still need to be mounted):
NOTE: to go to multi-user operation, exit the single-user shell (with ^D) # cd /packages # ./mount.jbase Mounted jbase package on /dev/vn1... # ./mount.jkernel Mounted jkernel package on /dev/vn2... # ./mount.jroute Mounted jroute package on /dev/vn3...
- Enter recovery mode:
- Enter configuration mode and either delete or change the root authentication password:
root> configure Entering configuration mode  root# delete system root-authentication
- Commit the changes, and exit configuration mode
 root # commit commit complete  root@router# exit Exiting configuration mode root@router> exit
Exit recovery mode and enter “y” when prompted to reboot the system:
Reboot the system? [y/n] y Terminated
The system now reboots and changes made to root authentication are activated.